Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

'DARK KNIGHT' BREAKS RECORD ($200 MILLION IN 5 DAYS)

Continuing to smash records, "The Dark Knight" is the first film to break $200 million in five days, Entertainment Weekly reports.

The second Batman movie from star Christian Bale and director Christopher Nolan, earned a $203.8 million dollars, smashing the prior record held by "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" in 2006 which took eight days to reach the goal.

Ultimately the 'Pirates' film, which starred Johnny Depp as swashbuckling pirate Captain Jack Sparrow, took in $423.3 million domestically - a number that doesn't seem too far off for Gotham's vigilante superhero.


3 comments:

Keith said...

That's pretty much what "Batman Begins" made in the USA the whole time it was out, wasn't it?

Unknown said...

Yeah, the initial box office for BB wasn't ENORMOUS. That said, though, I expect to see a HUGE dropoff this weekend for The Dark Knight. It will stgill win, but NOTHING like last week.

Keith said...

Oh yeah. I couldn't imagine it staying up that high. I am curious to see how big of a dropoff. I know many times it can be 50% or more.