Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

NO! NO! NOOOO! MGM TO MAKE MORE ROCKYs??


Highly unnecessary! That's all I can say.

This lil' bit of news is all over the interwebs today. During a recent presentation at the Cannes Film Festival, MGM chairperson Mary Parent said that that the company is toying around with the possibility of making more Rocky films. WTF???

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a HUGE Sly Stallone fan and an even bigger Rocky Balboa fan. There's no way I can endorse another Rocky film after last year's "Rocky Balboa" beautifully ended the character's 30 year saga.

Parent’s big buzzword of the Cannes presentation was “franchise." She's not off her rocker when it comes to that notion, however. After all, let's not forget that after Bond, MGM's biggest franchise is the Rocky series. She contends The Rock just might have some more fight in him before he calls it quits for good. C'mon...

It's more than apparent that MGM doesn't give a hoot that "Rocky Balboa," the sixth film in the series, was the perfect conclusion and the utmost penance for the atrocious "Rocky V."

Even more, I can't imagine Stallone will want to throw Rock back into the ring. I wouldn't even expect his kid to hit the canvas. Many will remember that Robert, Jr. (played in "Rocky Balboa" by Heroes star Milo Ventimiglia), resembled bookish Adrian more than his beefy dad.

A spinoff -- that's what MGM should be concentrating on. A spinoff with perhaps a cameo by Sly. That might be doable. I could see a "Steps" story - 'Lil Marie's teenage son who entered Rocky's circle. But please, MGM, NO MORE ROCKY FILMS!!

0 comments: