Reporters. They have to put themselves in the situation, cover it, and be stoic. No matter what. Would Edward R. Murrow cry? Gonzo scribe Hunter S. Thomspson? Would Hemingway?
I can fully understand when fans get upset at the notion that their team may be down for the count. But should a broadcaster? And live on-the-air, no less... Yankees radio announcer Suzyn Waldman did exactly that during her postgame show on WFAN when the Yankees lost Monday night. Check it out:
Now that she's the object of scrutiny all over the web, here's what she had to say, defending her weepy coverage.
"This one's getting me angry, because I don't play this card a lot, but this is as sexist as it gets," the Yankees' radio analyst said yesterday. "What's the big damn deal? That I cried for four seconds of a 10-minute postgame? The idea that I can't choke up because a man I went through cancer with 11 years ago is going to lose his job and I was describing his coaches crying? It's absolutely ludicrous."
She's referring to Joe Torre, obviously, who is unlikely to have his contract renewed. (Waldman is a breast cancer survivor; Torre has survived prostate cancer.)
Thursday, October 11, 2007
I GUESS THERE IS CRYING IN BASEBALL ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments:
Post a Comment