Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2007

MY FAVORITE REALITY SHOWS (with video)

Face it, reality TV is here to stay. It ain't goin' anywhere.

Being a writer, I'm a natural voyeur and I must admit, reality TV for me, is like crystal meth to a junkie. When done properly, it can have me sitting in front of the TV for hours and I can just feel my brain fading away along with the prospects of writing something of worth.

As if anyone cares, here's a list (in no particular order) of some of my favorite reality shows and a brief explanataion as to why, followed by a video or two.

AIRLINE
This is an odd show, indeed. This A&E reality program follows the trials and tribulations of a national airline. Sounds boring? Think again. It's completly riveting. That said, though, if I've never flown before and watched this show, I'd probably never get on a plane. What's more, it's an awful advertisment for the Southwest Airlines, who never winds up looking rosy.





THE REAL WORLD
The grand dame of reality shows that, depending on the cast, never seems to run out of conflict. The recipe is simple - seven kids, throw them in a sweet crib, watch them fight. Keep Big brother. Gimmie my MTV kids who drink too much, fight too much and all look like supermodels.



COPS
I'm gonna be honest. I'm praying to the gods above that someone somewhere makes an all "COPS" TV channel. Loop the friggin' show 24/7. On the air since 1986 or thereabouts, this is a raw-as-shit look at what life is like being a cop. No host. Just a camera and sound tech. To see what life is like behind bars, check out its sister show "Jail" that debuted a few weeks back. Equally as awesome.



BREAKING BONADUCE
An offshoot of the reality show genre seems to be the "celeb-reality" show. While most of the shows featuring K-List personalities are bullshit ala "The Two Coreys" (which btw gets my vote as the suckiest reality show ever), this VH1 account of Danny Bonaduce trying to get back on the straight-and-narrow with his family, life, sobriety and career is as "real" as it gets. A close second is the former VH1 show "Shooting Sizemore."



THE CONTENDER
What self-respecting "Rocky" fan wouldn't love "The Contender," which by the way, leads us to another ofshoot of the genre - the competition reality show. Just the same, when done well, competition brings out the best in people and gives us the best TV watching experience.





HELL'S KITCHEN
I love this show, even if it is a little cheesy. Keep "Top Chef," this competition show with gonzo chef Gordon Ramsey is addictive if only for his insane screaming at everyone.



BLOW OUT and WORK OUT
Lifestyle reality. That's what I call shows that are basically about people we don't know, but TV people want us to. Hence, "Blow Out" and "Work Out," two shows that take place in Southern Cali. I don't live in La La land, but if I did, shit, I'd want to live in the realm of either clearhead hair stylist Jonathan Anton or uber-hot trainer Jackie Warner.



JONATHAN WITH BRUNO




THE OSBOURNES
You gotta love the Osbourne clan. They practically invented the celeb-reality genre with their groundbreaking show. Seems tame now, but they were the first TV framily to invite camera into the home.



MIAMI INK
These dudes at the Miami tattoo shop are rad and give us great stories each week through the conflicts in the workplace - another reality subgenre - and through their incredible tattoo work.

0 comments: